10 Reasons Not to Get a Flu Shot: The Flu Shot is a Life-Saver for Lupus Patients, Other Autoimmune Disease Patients, and … well… Everyone!
10 Reasons Not to Get a Flu Shot. (Or should you go ahead and get one)?
1) Don’t get the flu shot if you are not afraid of dying: Infections are among the top 3 causes of death in SLE and most are preventable with measures such as vaccines. Learn of the importance of preventing infections in Dr. Thomas’ Lupus Secrets
2) Don’t get the flu shot if you are a gambler: The 2018 – 2019 flu season caused close to 60,000 flu-related hospitalizations in the United States. Maybe you are not afraid of this high number.
3) Don’t get the flu shot if you are isolated and will never come into contact with another human for the next year: Fortunately, with the public practicing social distancing, hand-washing, mask-wearing, etc. due to COVID-19, hopefully we’ll see less influenza. However, we still need everyone to get the flu shot. Getting COVID-19 plus influenza would be deadly.
4) Don’t get the flu shot if you prefer to have a more severe influenza infection: The flu shot reduces the risk of getting the flu by 50%, but if you get it, you are more likely to have a less severe infection as per the below …
5) Don’t get the flu shot if you enjoy being on a breathing machine in the intensive care unit surrounded by COVID-19 infected patients: People who get the flu shot are 82% less likely to end up in the intensive care unit. SLE patients are 60% less likely to die compared to people with SLE who do not get vaccinated.
6) Don’t get the flu shot if your flu shot contains active influenza virus: However, the flu shot has never given anyone the flu = Fact!
7) Don’t get the flu shot if you are a “no vaxer” and there is no way to change your mind no matter what I say: The flu shot does not cause autism.
8) Don’t get the flu shot if your flu shot is made from eggs: You should still get the flu shot, even if you have an egg allergy. Most of today’s flu shots are safe for egg allergy sufferers. Ask your health care provider to ensure you receive the correct, safe vaccine.
9) Don’t get the flu shot if your flu shot contains live virus: However, flu shots do not contain live vaccine. You can get the flu shot on any of your immunosuppressant medications. However, prednisone greater than 40 mg a day will decrease your response to the vaccine. If you are on Rituxan, try to get it 4 weeks before your Rituxan dose.
10) Don’t get the flu shot if you don’t care about hurting or infecting those around you: If you do not believe in getting the flu shot, at least get it to protect the ones you love. This is one of the main reasons why we health care professionals get it. We want to lower the chances of spreading it to our patients.